Client: PBSJ Corporation / PBS&J
Owner: National Park Service
Project Value: $9,000,000
Project Duration: 2007
Services Provided: Cost Estimating, Cost Management
Hamilton Grange National Memorial
nEW yORK, ny
This project involved providng cost estimating services for rehabilitation, stabilization, and restoration of Alexander Hamilton’s estate – known as the Hamilton Grange National Memorial – located at 287 Convent Avenue in St. Nicholas Park, still within the original boundaries of the 32-acres once owned by Hamilton.
In 1889, in order to save the structure from the new street grid and demolition, the house was moved from what is now 143rd Street, west of Convent, and the original entrance, porches, and other features were removed. The current location (some 300 feet southeast of the former location) allows for features lost in that move to be reconstructed and a more appropriate setting for the Grange.
Alexander Hamilton was born in Nevis, West Indies, and came to New York in 1772 to study. In 1802 the Hamilton family moved into the Federal-style country house designed by architect John McComb Jr. on an upper-Manhattan parcel of 32 acres. It is the only home ever owned by Alexander Hamilton.